Tuesday

Summer showers in the sweltering heat

Summer showers in the sweltering heat A hose was for more than watering the garden or cattle when I was growing up on the farm.Read on.

WITH THE CURRENT HEAT WAVE we’re experiencing in Minnesota, I’ve been thinking a lot about the weather of yesteryear.And here’s what I’ve concluded.Unless the weather impacted some major event in my life or ranked as exceptional, I really can’t specifically remember one summer to the next or one winter to the next.Fall and spring sort of get lost in the mix of seasons.

That is the reality of my long-term memory.

For me, the summers of my youth on a southwestern Minnesota crop and dairy farm were defined, not by the weather, but by playing «cowboys and Indians» (yes, I realize that is not politically correct today, but it was the reality of the 1960s), by after-chores softball games on the gravel farmyard and by evening showers with a garden hose.

Let me explain that last one.I lived for the first dozen years of my life in a cramped 1 В